My Updated SQL Server 2005 Install Checklist

January 25, 2010 by Mike Hillwig

If you’ve been following me lately (either my blog or Twitter), you know that I’m in the process of building up some new servers on a new SAN for a big database consolidation.

After the first server, I had a pretty good checklist. Brent Ozar has a pretty fantastic checklist that I stole a few items from.  This is my attempt at a more refined checklist. (of my own, not Brent’s)

In my new environment, each server is a VM. The physical box has 16 GB of RAM and the VM will get 8 GB. I have drives for the OS, SQL logs, SQL data, TempDB, and backups.

Here is my order of things:

• Install Windows 2003 (64 bit)
  • Install Windows 2003 SP2
  • Install our antivirus software
  • Install SQL 2005
  • Install SQL 2005 SP3
  • Set permissions to permit Instant File Intialization
  • Set permissions to permit locking pages in memory
  • Install System Center Operations Manager  Agent
  • Move Model DB
  • Move MSDB DB
  • Resize TempDB (32 GB data, 16 GB logs), disable autogrowth
  • Set default file locations
  • Set CPU to boost SQL priority
  • Set minimum memory to 6GB
  • Set maximum memory to 7GB.
  • Configure Database Mail

Disabling autogrowth on TempDB may be a little controversial. I’m okay with that. If TempDB is growing that much on our servers, which aren’t that big, I want to know what the heck is going on.

Okay, fellow DBAs, what did I forget, and what did I do wrong here? I think I did some good stuff here, but I doubt it’s perfect.

11 thoughts on “My Updated SQL Server 2005 Install Checklist

1. Merrill Aldrich says:

Did you set the correct disk offset when partitioning your disks? e.g. diskpart.exe => align = 1024?

2. Mike Hillwig says:

Do I still want to do this when my disk is a virtual disk?

3. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jorge Segarra, Mike Hillwig. Mike Hillwig said: The Cranky DBA: My Updated SQL Server 2005 Install Checklist http://bit.ly/8diYSZ […]

4. Brent Ozar says:

Yes, you still want to do that when you’re using virtualization, believe it or not. Vizioncore even has a dedicated product just to go out, find virtual machines that aren’t partition-aligned, and fix them.

5. Myra says:

I see a lot of interesting posts on your page. You have to spend a lot of time
    writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there
    is a tool that creates unique, google friendly articles in couple of seconds, just type in google – k2 unlimited content

6. Kiara says:

I read a lot of interesting posts here. Probably you spend a
    lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is an online tool that creates high quality, google
    friendly posts in minutes, just type in google – laranitas free content source

7. Jonas says:

( 2012.12.20 05:13 ) : 感谢博主,前几次借助博主的分享成功卸载了几次,但是反复多卸载重装个几次,不管用了,卸载不干净。后来用这个搞定了如果运行这些第二步、apt-get revmoe mysql-server purge第三步、apt-get revmoe mysql-common purge 您没卸载干净,那你可以 第一步、apt-get -f autorevmoe 第二步、apt-get revmoe mysql-server purge 第三步、apt-get revmoe mysql-common purge

8. It’s spooky how clever some ppl are. Thanks!

9. That’s a sensible answer to a challenging question

10. Thanks, Ward, for having the courage to take a stand on this issue.   Been trying to say for years that segregating races out by giving privileges based on race is racial profiling even if its in reverse.  No one in their right mind thinks that any race should be singled out and ridiculed but privilege based on race is not the way to redemption.

11. http://www./ says:

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any tips and hints for novice blog writers? I’d really appreciate it.