February 9, 2012 by Mike Hillwig
I wrote a post many months ago with some interview questions for my old boss to use when searching for my replacement. Tomorrow, we have a candidate interviewing to join our team. Here are a few things from the top of my head that I just might ask. You’ll need to find your own answers, though.
- Tell me about VLFs
- Do you have any experience with MSX-TSX relationships in the SQL Server Agent?
- How do you maintain INDEXes and STATISTICS in your environment today? How could you improve that?
- When would you disable auto update of statistics?
- How do you keep your skills current with SQL Server technology?
- What’s the most compelling reason to upgrade from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 R2?
- What’s the biggest mistake you see other SQL Server DBAs make?
- What’s your worse habit as a DBA?
- Are you familiar with the PASS Summit or local chapters?
- With what trace flags are you familiar?
- What are the two types of authentication? Which is more secure?
- Which will be faster, inserting a million rows of data or updating a million rows of data? (shamelessly stolen from Tom LaRock)
Category SQLServerPedia Syndication | Tags: